Friday, October 4, 2013

Dear men of BYU

My ride: "Alissa, did you serve a mission?"
Me: "No."
My ride: "Well are you going to serve a mission?"
Me: "No."
My ride: "Well are you getting married?"
Me: "No."
My ride: *laughs*, and then says, "Well what are you doing with your life?"

Hey, buddy. You may only have been home from your mission for 4 weeks, but I would expect you to know those probably aren't the questions you should be asking in a "getting-to-know-you" situation with a stranger. 

Don't get me wrong, I whole-heartedly respect and support missionaries. I have a strong testimony of missionary work and I do my best to be a member missionary, but you're missing the point. 

Here's the thing that 95% of you can't seem to understand: 

Missions aren't right for everyone.

Marriage isn't the only reason girls don't go on missions. 

It's not because we're any less spiritual. 

Some of us are just happy where we're at. 

We don't feel a pull to serve a mission because that's not always part of our role as women in this church.

So what am I doing with my life?

I'm living the gospel, educating myself, working hard, preparing for my future, and trying to weed out inconsiderate dweebs like you from my dating life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment