Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day 5: Arrival in Wales!

Today I woke up at 6 AM. That was so painful and my body has been hating me all day for it. The reason for getting up so early was to board a ferry to get from Dublin to Holyhead, Wales. Can I just say that I LOVE ferry rides? They are the best way to travel. Sitting at a table in a comfortable chair with wifi and food...can't get better than that. There was also a theater on board and plenty of things to do. I got through a chapter of my book before passing out on the table for a short nap.

Our ferry ride!


Arrived in Wales

Wales is very similar to Ireland. The differences I see are that the houses are more commonly made of old stone and look like old cottages, rather than with colorful paint like in Ireland. There seem to be more mountains (not like Utah mountains, but big rocky hills) and the landscape feels more meadowy and less woody. It's beautiful like Ireland, but also different. 

Our only stop today was at Conwy Castle. This is a huge castle built in 1287. This castle looked most like how I've always pictured castles. Conwy city still has the ancient wall that was once used to surround the city. It's amazing to me how old everything is here! America truly is a young country. 

Entrance to Conwy Castle




Isn't Wales beautiful?



 We had a pit stop at this city with the longest name in the world. Cool, huh?




No comments:

Post a Comment