Sunday, June 30, 2013

Day 6: Church in Wales & Llandudno

No matter where I attend church, I am always amazed by how much it feels like going home. As soon as we walked in the doors at church today, it felt like coming home to friends and family. The branch here is tiny and they happily welcomed us in their doors. As I sat there listening to the speakers today, I felt so close to my heavenly father and I felt the spirit tingle through my body. Tears came to my eyes when we sang the opening hymn and I felt completely overcome by the spirit. There is something very simple about life here. While there are less members of the church here, they are all very closely knit and they all have very strong testimonies. They showed parts of the missionary work world broadcast last week during the third hour, and again I felt overcome by the spirit. Being in Ireland and hearing the members speak about their desire to do missionary work really made me excited about it too. While I'm not planning to serve a mission, being here has ignited in me a desire to do as much missionary work and fellowshipping as a member that I can. 

One of my favorite things about this trip has been getting to know my professors. The Gardeners--Marv and Mary-- are the cutest old couple and I've decided that I want to be just like them when I'm older. They met two groups of people today--to Spaniards in our hostel, and a Pakistani brother and sister--who they invited to a Welsh musical fireside we had tonight with the branch here. What great examples of missionary work in action! It was so fun to talk to these four people and have my ideas about the world cultures broadened. I loved that.

Today, I also walked around the city we're staying in (Llandudno) with Bonnie and Abbey. It is a costal town, and it reminds me so much of main street in Disneyland and of the house in Marry Poppins on Cherry Tree Lane. It is so beautiful! These pictures just can't do it justice. This town is known for being the summer retreat of Alice from Alice in Wonderland. A little girl named Alice, who was the inspiration for Alice in Wonderland, came here during her summers. They have a beautiful beach with a cute pier. It was a fun Sunday stroll! 

The white rabbit

The mad hatter

Can you see the windmills?




Isn't it a cute little town?

I will marry any man who will buy me that white house in the corner!

Flags on the pier

Building on the pier!

Our hostel! Isn't it adorable? I feel like I live in the Victorian era just by staying here!

1 comment:

  1. Are they windmills or wind turbines?
    The pictures are great. It's probably wonderful to be so near the sea. I sure hope that house isn't owned by Donald Trump!

    ReplyDelete