Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 7: Traveling to Cardiff

Even when you're on a study abroad, you still have days that feel a little blah-ish. Today was one of those days. There's just a few things that happened today that I wanted to record before the day is over. Today we visited the Snowdonia area...the largest mountain in Wales. It is breathtakingly beautiful there. Here are some pictures:

Foxgloves grow wild here! I love it!



After this, we got back on the bus to drive to Cardiff. I fell asleep in a position where my neck was completely crooked to the right and really uncomfortable. I finally woke up and let out a screech of pain because I thought my neck was broken. It was one of the most awful feelings in the world. 

We got to Cardiff and we're staying in a pretty sketchy hostel. I'm trying not to let myself be weirded/ grossed out by it. One cool thing that happened was that Sarah and I met this old man in the kitchen tonight who told us a great story. He was born in Wales and grew up here until he was 20. He met a young girl when he was 19 and they fell in love. She wanted to go to America, and he was going to New Zealand, so they split ways. She lived her life in America and never married and lived out her life as a spinster. He has a child and grandchildren in New Zealand, but I think his wife died or they never actually married. The two of them kept in touch over the years but never met up again. He just retired and is visiting Wales for the summer doing whatever he wants. It turns out that she's come back to visit too, so they met up at the cafe that he took her to for their first date back in 1946 and tried to rekindle things. It sounds like he might still be trying to get her back even today, but he left our conversation abruptly before he could provide many more details. When he finished, I was so amazed! It's like a story from a movie. 

Other than that, the other details from today don't need to be recorded. Wales is beautiful and I'm excited to see more tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Fun to follow your cool trip as we are enjoying 106 degree warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Great-Great-Grandpa William Hayward Great Grandma Thelma Hayward Holm's father was born in Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales. It looks like a wonderfully beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. William Hayward's father-in-law Richard Ephraim Thomas was born in Llanelly, Breconshire, Wales. Llanelly is 54 miles to the northwest of Cardiff.

    ReplyDelete