Sunday, July 21, 2013

Catching Up on London Week 2

This post is about last week in London...I'm playing catch-up. And I'm feeling lazy about pictures so this post might just contain more text and less pictures. Anyhow, we did so much last week in London! So many things I've wanted to see were checked off my list.

Kensington Gardens
Home of the Peter Pan statue and Kensington Palace (Where Princess Diana's family once lived).







Ben's CookiesI'd heard of this place before coming here from a few friends...and it's true--Ben's Cookies has the best cookies ever! They are so big and warm and delicious. I got a chocolate chip orange one and a triple chocolate chunk one. They were to die for.

Samuel Johnson's House
I was surprised by how much I liked seeing this site. Samuel Johnson compiled the first dictionary in the 1700's. We visited his house and I learned a lot about him, the English language, and the culture of his time.

The original Grumpy Cat!

Johnson's Dictionary

Dress up clothes!


Midsummer Night's Dream at the Globe Theater
This was definitely a highlight of London for me. I've always loved this play the most out of all of Shakespeare's plays, and it did not disappoint!






Hampton Court
I also really enjoyed our visit here. Hampton Court is where Henry the 8th lived, along with several other monarchs. They do a really good job of telling history here and helping you understand life back then. The King James Version of the Bible was also translated here. The gardens in the back were my favorite. They reminded me so much of Pride and Prejudice and my other favorite English stories. It was a fun little day trip!








Big Ben & Westminster Abbey
Ever since we got here, I've been itching to see Big Ben. He's actually not very tall...so it's hard to see the tower from across the city. It's right across from Westminster Abbey which I've also been itching to see. I'm going to do a tour inside the abbey on Wednesday, so I'll blog more about that then.







Primark
This store is the cheapest and best place to do shopping here. And it's massive. And it has a lot of immodest clothes. But it's wonderful. I got several cardigans (with elbow pads...YAY) and a scarf. Things I can't wear in London because it's so hot, but maybe when we get to Scotland!

I'm a little bogged out so sorry this post isn't very descriptive...I'm just happy to be caught up! For now at least. This week is going to be AMAZING, so I'm going to try my best to stay caught up. It's our last week in London and it's jam packed with seeing places I've wanted to see my whole life. Les Mis tomorrow night, Westminster Abbey on Wednesday, Jane Austen's house and Stonehenge Friday, and Stratford Upon Avon on Saturday. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment