Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Royal Baby!

The last 24 hours have been so fun to experience in London that I wanted to write a quick post dedicated to the birth of the royal baby. To be honest, before coming here I didn't even know that Kate was pregnant...or even that she was due while I was going to be here. However, I'm so glad that I am!

Yesterday, our professor, Dr. Gardner (who I haven't blogged about before, but I really love him and his wife), started class by announcing that Kate had gone into labor. All day, I observed people checking the newspapers and online for updates on the birth. In passing on the street, I also heard several people discussing the birth. Last night, we went to Les Miserables (which I will write about in a separate post) and while my friend Bonnie was in the bathroom during intermission, a lady announced that the baby had been born! We were all very excited.

I didn't really observe any more partying than usual last night in London, but we came home and looked up on the internet to see that it was a boy. I loved watching and reading the BBC updates. Turns out that the hospital that Kate gave birth in is actually relatively close to where we are staying! Which is also pretty exciting.

Today, we went to Paddington Station to catch our train to Windsor Castle (home of the Queen). St. Mary's Hospital is right around the corner from the station! At this point, they hadn't left the hospital yet. We headed off to Windsor Castle and while we were there, the bells at the palace chimed a song in celebration of the new prince's birth. I took a quick video looking out the window of the chapel (photography wasn't allowed inside, so I didn't dare turn around to show the splendor of the chapel).

"The bells of the Curfew Tower will ring out today in celebration of the birth of a new son to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge." 

For some reason, the video is importing all choppy which makes me sad. But you get the idea.

*Update....apparently it still doesn't work. I'll have to figure out how to upload the video later when I actually have time.


My mom made the great suggestion that I bring home some newspapers from today. I snatched a few that had been left on the Tube today, and it's so fun to read what the british have to say about the event. There is so much thrill around the event that it's really hard for the couple to have any sort of privacy. I feel bad for them, but you can't blame England (and the world) for being excited about the birth of the future King of England!

Since we got home from Windsor, we've just been keeping up on the news and reading lots of stories online about what's going on, such as this one:

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-07-22/royal-baby-duke-duchess-cambridge-kate-william/

One thing you have to understand is that I have a huge celebrity girl crush on Kate Middleton, so being here and seeing all of this happen is very thrilling to me. I think she is absolutely beautiful, classy, and I want to be just like her. I admire her grace in handling this event and for being as strong as she is.

Anyway, I feel really lucky to have been a part of London on the day a future monarch was born. I have always loved and admired the royal family, so being here for this event has been a real treat for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment