Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 8: Church History Sites & Tintern Abbey

Last night was probably the worst night of sleep I've gotten this whole trip. It all started when I got into my bed and realized that my blankets and sheets were completely penetrated with the smell of smoke. I think I tend to make things a lot worse then they actually are in my head, but I couldn't get over that smell all night and I kept waking up and wanting to die. But I got through the night and woke up this morning for what has turned out to be one of my favorite days on this whole trip!

Today we ventured into England (the first time I've set foot in England!) and we visited church history sites in western England--mainly in Glucoustershire. These sites included: the Benbow Farm, Hereford Beacon, and the Gladfeld Elm Chapel.

The Benbow Farm was the site where Wilford Woodruff was directed to by the spirit to go an teach the gospel. He quickly converted and baptized about 200 saints on this farm--the first converts to the church in England. While we were here, Brother Gardner did a wonderful job of telling the story and of leading us in singing "Israel, Israel, God is Calling". I felt overcome by the spirit (yet again) and like I was really walking on holy ground. I had to keep myself from tearing up while we sang the song because the words felt so powerful. "Come to Zion, Come to Zion, For your Coming Lord is Nigh." I love that Wilford Woodruff was directed to go to this specific area of England and convert so many people. People who the Lord had prepared and needed to help bring for his work in America. People who would help found our church and become my ancestors.



The pond where Wilford Woodruff baptized the first 200 saints in England


We then climbed to the top of Hereford Beacon--a beautiful hillside that overlooks Glucoustershire, England. It is recorded that Wilford Woodruff would often come to this point to ponder, pray, and search the scriptures. They say that he used it as a sort of sacred temple-like spot where he would receive revelation. I said my own little prayer at the top of this hill and I felt so peaceful and content in the moment.




Our cute group



Our last church history site was the Gladfeld Elm Chapel. This is the oldest chapel in all the world for our church. It is no longer in use, but the church keeps the property maintained and allows visitors to go in at anytime. Its a quaint little chapel in the middle of the English countryside surrounded by raw, ungrown fields and cows. We also sang some hymns here and felt the spirit very strongly.


Replica copy of the first Book of Mormon

The chapel


While I visited these sites, I had the impression that I was walking where my English ancestors once walked as well. I'm not sure who and I'm not sure where, but I felt a connection to this country like I never thought I would. As I stood on top of the Hereford Beacon looking at all the English fields, I felt reminded of the fields surrounding Teton, Idaho--the place where my ancestors eventually settled after coming from England. It's a similar feel--being surrounded by fields of barley, wheat, and other crops. It's no wonder that my ancestors settled where they did--it must have felt a lot like home for them.

Our last stop today was a surprise stop at Tintern Abbey in Wales. This was a real treat because I didn't think we'd get to go there. After some convincing, our professors and bus driver decided it would be ok for us to make a stop there on our way back to the hostel in Cadiff. I am SO glad that we did. It was by far my favorite ruin that we've visited on this trip! The abbey was built in the 1100's and was used by monks for hunderds of years. Unfortunately, my camera battery died just as we were pulling up, so I had to take pictures of it on my phone. :(














Despite it's rocky start, today was one of my favorite days on this entire trip. I've felt the spirit profoundly, my testimony has been strengthened, and I continue to be awed by the beauty of this country.

Here's just a few more picts to end this post. :)

Our first ice cream in England!

I already found my favorite telephone booth. There was ivy growing on the inside!

2 comments:

  1. Glucoustershire, England is 35.5 miles north of Bradford, Wiltshire, England which is the 1820 birthplace of Luke Hayward your Great-Great-Great Grandfather (father of William Hayward). I don't believe he joined the Church until he came to America. He died in Lehi, Utah in 1908.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! So glad you felt close to ancestors. Photos are great even with the phone! Emily also loved Tintern Abbey.

    ReplyDelete